October 24, 2008

Cool commute

Cycling Cathy's recent blog was about finding motivation anywhere you can find it to get out and ride. So, last night I decided I needed to commute to work this morning. The motivation behind this was bald N surly and Dan. I thought if Dan could commute to work on Wednesday morning in the pouring rain wearing sandals and bald N surly could ride in the pouring rain and the cold of the darkness then I could ride in the cool morning drizzle. Turns out, no drizzle was to be had only damp, cool, 39 degree air this morning.

The choice of clothes, my work clothes of course, jeans, t-shirt, CUBS polar fleece pull over, thick socks and work type boots, then over that, I pulled on some lined nylon pants, my biking rain jacket, helmet (of course) and winter gloves. Turns out, I was sweating when I got to work. Those rain jackets do not breath very well. The only negative is that I could not find my neck gator so my ears and neck were a bit on the cool side but that was it. I also started out without my lights on. I never even thought of it until I met a few cars so I pulled over and put on the trusty head light and tail light. I felt better doing this. I also still had my sun glass lenses in instead of my clear lenses. Oh well, nothing hurt there. All a mater of figuring things out yet and what works best I imagine. I will figure it out soon enough. I never thought I would ever be riding a bike if the temps got below 50!

All in all a good ride to work but feels strange pedaling a bike with boots on.

Next week it is sounding like good weather. Get out on your bike, walk, golf or whatever. Just don't sit there and waste the good weather while we have it! There is not going to be many more days like it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you! You've motivated me to try and do more riding in cool temps - 50 degrees has always been my limit - but maybe it doesn't need to be if I just put on enough layers!

Tez said...

It was not all that bad and I know you can do it! The longer a person prolongs the outside riding the better, in my book. Make sure you stay away from the leaves as they can be slick!

Anonymous said...

You Go Girl!!!
I really need to get out for a ride. Today is not looking good, perhaps tomorrow.
I know, I know, but I really mean it.