December 28, 2007

Hug your pet!

Had a bad lunch today. I was letting Abe out in the backyard when I noticed a couple of poodle like dogs running up the sidewalk in front of the house. I had never seen them before so I really didn't think anything of it. Then not more than a minute later I heard a thud followed by a dog crying. Abe of course got all upset so I put him in the truck and went out to find out what had happened. Meanwhile there was a lady walking up the alley calling out names. I asked if she was looking for two dogs and she said yes. At that point a guy in a black Lexus about a 1/3 block away said he had just hit a dog. The dog was sitting by the front drivers side tire. The lady of course went running up to it and I walked up there to help. The dog of course was terrified and hurt. The owner was in tears and the guy that hit the dog felt so bad. All he could say was that the dog ran out in the street and that there was no way he could stop in time. The dog owner shuffled the dog out of the on coming traffic area and in front of the car that hit the dog. Of course the dog was trying to bite the owner as she was trying to pick him up. She finally just grabbed him to get him in her arms. The dog swung its head around and bit the lady in the chin. Meanwhile I am trying to get cars slowed down and to pass with caution. I looked over at the corner and saw a lady and a guy in an SUV that had seen it all happen. The lady had been driving but she just sat there with her hand over her mouth and crying.

I walked with the owner to help her find her other dog as all she could say was that she had left a 14 year old in the house with two infants. I told her no problem that I would help her find her other dog. Sounded like the 14 year old had let the dogs out and not shut the gate to the backyard of their house so that is how the dogs had gotten out. Anyway the 14 year old had found the other dog and got it in the house. Another neighbor came to help out and we tried to talk to the owner as to what she needed to do next which of course was to take the dog to the vet and then get herself looked at. Not sure she would need stitches but it was not a little scratch by any means. Of course it was hard to help her as she had the dog in her arms and he was so terrified that he would not let anyone near him or the owner. I think the dog has either back, leg or hip injuries by the way he just sat there on the road.

As I left the owner was putting the dog in on the porch of her house and calling her husband. I felt so helpless. I walked back to the truck were I had placed Abe and gave him a big hug and kiss. He could tell something was wrong. Even now here at work this afternoon he has spent more time then usual laying under my chair. Not sure what will happen to the dog if it will have surgery to repair the damage or if they will have the dog put to sleep. Just a very sad ordeal.......

Don't forget to hug your pet today and everyday!

No comments: