December 29, 2008

What does Christmas really mean? Have we lost sight?

Amazing on how fast Christmas is here and gone.

Do we get sick of all the holiday retailing with Christmas stuff being stocked on the shelves before Halloween? Then there is the whole Black Friday gimmick! You know what I mean. They have a good price on a few items and might only have one or two of said items in the store to get you in the store to buy other items...GIMMICK! Don't get me wrong, I know some stores have to do this to be profitable and of course they employ more people but can there be a law out there that Christmas stuff will not go on the shelves until the middle of November? I know it still runs over the forgotten holiday of Thanksgiving but it sure might make the retail mess a bit more tolerable. I am thankful I do not work in a retail store setting and have to endure this mess for three months, I would go insane!

I really think the younger generation has totally lost focus as to the real reason behind Christmas. Oh, sure church had some visitors there for the Christmas Eve service but by no means were the pews full. Then there was a baptism the night of the Christmas Eve service. I know, I know, they had family in town so it was a perfect time to baptise the child, but isn't that being selfish and taking away part of the meaning of Christmas also?

Then the younger generation also gets so wrapped up in gifts like getting a Wii, Xbox, cell phone, stereo, mp3, ipod stuff or whatever. I have found that as I grow older I do not need gifts. Don't get me wrong they are nice but is it something I really, really need, should the money that is spent on presents go to an organization or church that is near and dear ones heart? Maybe.

Here are a few gifts to ponder that fellow local bloggers gave this year:
Life with Tony gave his wife a kidney for Christmas! CycleSD bought Livestrong wear for his family! This is great as a good chunk of the money goes back to fighting cancer. What a great Christmas present it would be to all of us if a cure for cancer or any other nasty, rotten disease out there was found!

What does Christmas really mean to you? Has it gotten out of hand in your eyes?

No comments: