November 3, 2008

More gear to buy?

This past weekend I took some time to do a little cool weather clothes looking. Mainly base layer type stuff.


It sure is hard to know what to get. I know some of you think Merino Wool is it and some swear by Under Armor or as I slipped up and call it Armor All to Kris at one point this past weekend. The weather will just slide right off your clothes with the new armor all cycling gear! Not sure what I was thinking when I called it Armor All, anyway, it seems the people that like the Merino Wool are more of the commuter type and the people that like the Under Armor (there I said it right....but I had to think about it before I typed it) are more the type of bikers that just go out in any weather and ride and not necessarily to work but some do wear it for commuting also.


So, having thought about it and looking at the price, I am opting for a couple Under Armor shirts for colder riding and then maybe next year get a nice wool base layer. We are a causal office so having Under Armor on is not a big deal, plus our office is usually on the cold side so layers are ALWAYS better. The Ibex shirts are so nice but at around $140 each that is a bit steep for me at this point. The Under Armor is a little more reasonable but still the thermo shirts are around $56 each. I am hoping to commute in cooler weather and yes even if there is snow on the ground but only if the streets are semi good. I am guessing I will have to purchase some knobby tires as I have the invert treads on my mountain bike now. Not sure how they will handle the snow and not sure I am truly ready to make the investment for studded tires yet.


MORE STUFF TO BUY!....hahah......in the future anyway.

5 comments:

bikingbrady said...

Keep your eye on chainlove dot com. They have good deals for all sorts of stuff. I bought some Sugoi base layer stuff at a fraction of the cost of under armor.

SD_pedalpower said...

Me too on the Sugio stuff. Thermal underwear and just putting on cheap layers also works. I don't own any of the expensive wool stuff. My best cool temp gloves are $5 liners I picked up at a gas station. Cold temps I have a pair of cycling specific lobsters.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tez, I will let you know when Shopko puts their underlayer technical stuff on sale. That's what I use, and when Shopko puts it on sale it's around $9 for a long sleeve base layer shirt and $12 or so for the "longjohns".
It's a good buy, and they work pretty well for me. Heck, sometimes I just wear two layers of the underlayer and a long sleeve jersey.

Tez said...

I will watch for the Sugoi and also Mr Mayor keep me informed. I have signed up for the chainlove dot com email also.

Ham(m)er said...

I like to buy stuff at Target. Champion has long sleeved shirts that I wear. Wear one of those to get moisture away from skin and then you can wear a sweatshirt or whatever as a top layer.

I haven't biked outside in the winter, but run and use the layer method.

I'm due for a new pair of tights and a new shirt or two.