January 20, 2009

TDU stage 1

Ok so, I was watching the text feeds from the TDU on Cycling News last night, in between trying to get the dishwasher to drain. Even though I was FRUSTRATED with the dishwasher and didn't get it to work, YET, the racing updates did get me excited for this years bike racing season!

Tour Down Under feeds on Twitter were good then nothing for almost 3 hours then they started up again. I thought that was a bit odd but to most people, I am guessing, the middle of the race stuff is not that important to them. You know, the letting the rabbits go, catch them and make stew out of them before the finish. People want to know who crashed and then the winner of the big sprint finish, if the course lends itself to a sprint finish. Well, I for one, like to watch or read about the WHOLE race! There are so many dynamics / strategic moves going on it is just plan fun to see how it all plays out. One fun thing that happened during the race that was that Johan Bruyneel was tweeting from the Astana team car. Very fun. I had not expected that and of course everyone wanted to know if Johan was driving. He was a passenger, so he says. It gave us a different perspective on a few things. Not that he was giving away race secrets but just a peek as to what was going on. Anyway, most of you that are into racing know who won Stage 1 of the TDU but I will not spoil it for you. You can watch Versus short little micro broadcast today at 4:00-4:30 (I think those are the times). Watch for the BIG downhill in the stage, if they show it. According to a tweet from Lance the racers reached 63 mph on that downhill and I think going 27 mph on a downhill on my mountain bike is FAST! 63 mph on a bike is JUST PLAIN SCARY in my book! On to Stage 2!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get a little nervous at 35 mph on Yogi bear hill. On road bike review they got some pics of Liz Hatch (Team Vanderkitten) crashing at 38 mph downhill broke her carbon bike and cracked her helmet.

mazaquilt said...

Hi Tez,
Enjoyed reading your blog about the Tour Down Under. Wanted to let you know that even for us cycling mad locals we only got a half hour of recaps in the evening.The final stage was meant to be 'live'[all of it] but I found the live bit was a misnomer as I was following it on cyclingnews web site before they telecast it!
Enjoy your cycling, cheers from Marilyn, a cycling fan in Brisbane, Australia