July 17, 2008

Tour De Dope...AGAIN?

Here we are at stage 12 of the tour and what do you know. More riders have been "arrested" because of doping allegations. The big one of the group is Riccardo Ricco. He has won two stages already and was holding the white jersey (best young rider) and the polka dot jersey (king of the mountain) plus their team Saunier Duvel was in 1st place. What gives? Do they really think they can get away with doping? The frustrating thing for me is that I believe he tested positive at stage 4 of the tour and we just now have the results and today was stage 12.
Saunier Duvel decided to pull their whole team from the tour because of the allegations. So I guess Riccardo joins Manuel Beltran (Liquigas) and Moises Nevado (Barloworld) as kicked out of the 2008 tour because of doping.

Ok, so here is the bad thing, not that doping isn't bad but, say you have a rider that has a great day and rides with "no chain" as they say. People are going to automatically think they have doped even if the test comes back negative there will always be people that think that individual cheated the system some how...especially a non-French winner or some disgruntled ex-tour winner that is American (Clearly, my own opinion, Mr Lemond!) and of course you still have questionable lab testing practices out there. I assume that someday the testing will be kicked out faster so that these individuals do not go 8 more stages before they are found allegedly guilty and that the labs practice better techniques so there are no more questions to dopers being positive.

I am sure glad the MS150 does not do doping test!.......excuse me while I go sleep in my oxygen tent. Oh, ya and if you want to hear a catchy little EPO tune check out this from Biking Brady's blog.

No comments: