July 14, 2008

Hot, Wind, Beer and Pierre.......long version

Headed to Pierre this past weekend. Got out of town after dropping off a couple of sponsor donations (checks) for MS150. We were told that there was road construction on the indy and in Ft Pierre so we took back roads. I do like taking different routes to places but this was not so fun. The wind was blowing straight out of the west and the temps were rising as we headed west.

We left Sioux Falls and it was 94. Headed straight out west 41st street to the Wall Lake road headed north then hit Hwy 42 and headed west to Hwy 37 north on Hwy 37 to Hwy 34 and headed west all the way to Pierre. We stopped for gas in Wessington Springs as we figured that was the last big town to fill up unless we wanted to stop in Ft Thompson. I have stopped in Ft Thompson to fill up the truck before and didn't much like it so stopping at Wessington Springs was the option. So we fill up and of course I had to use the facilities at the Hum Dinger. Yup, the Hum Dinger was the name of the convenience store in the little berg. As I found out it was not only a convenience store but a , liquor store, video store, coffee joint, gas station, and get this tanning salon! Now that was a Hum Dinger of a stop....wow! We did note that the temp had climbed to 101...YUCK! This would be the least expensive gas on the trip at $3.99/gallon and with running the air and driving into the wind the mpg SUCKED! Heading west to our eventual destination we found the road rather interesting as they were not exactly smooth but it made it exciting. Then comes the driving over the hill seeing the Missouri River. Very neat views along there that is for sure.
We hit Pierre, temp had dropped to 88 and the wind was still blowing. We unloaded and headed to Ft Pierre for some grub at McClelland's. Good walleye at this place but the best thing of all was I got a Schlitz! We have been talking about trying some of the retro beers and since I saw it in the cooler I figured why not order it since this was a bar / bait shop turned restaurant it seemed fitting. The waitress kind of chuckled when I placed my beverage order and of course Kris and Jay, the other two grub eaters for the night, were very surprised. I have to say it was not bad but seemed really light tasting with more carbonation. It was ok but there are other beers I like better still it was fun to try and given the chance I might just order one again. My next retro beer was going to be Hamms, from the land of sky blue waters, but our waitress was a bit late getting back to our table so I opted for Newcastle back at the house. Lots of chatting and laughing before bed time.
Saturday brought MORE WIND..UGH! We walked down to the coffee shop and picked up bagels and coffee for breakfast and then walked back. Of course the dogs, Abe and Millie (Liz and Jay's dog) went with the three of us and of course the dogs do want they do by peeing and pooping. One very nice experience was that Kris picked up Abe's poop to find a hole in the poop bag. She washed up in the Missouri River and then the comfort station to find no soap but at least she was semi-clean. We got back tot he house and Jay made a WONDERFUL breakfast. Scrambled eggs, cut up green olives stuffed with garlic, cut up onion and then cooked in in egg rings. They of course were put on out bagels with a piece of cheese...YUM-O! I took a look at Jay's old Giant mtn bike. He could not get the repaired tire back on it. It was just a simple thing of releasing the brake and putting on the tire. I filled up the tires with air, lubed the chain and we washed off the bike and it was almost like new! We then decided on taking a bike ride. Yes, it was still WINDY! We headed out and I of course had an advantage since I was on my road bike. We hit the trail and then over the bridge. The bridge was nasty crossing over with the wind and the draft from the traffic. We got sucked and pulled every which way on the bridge. Once off the bridge it was better until we got out in the wide open prairie! I stopped as I was hauling the water for Jay and figured he needed a drink. We then notice Kris had stopped behind us to get a drink. She started up again and went maybe 50 feet and stopped and of course had the "something is wrong with my bike look" so we headed back to see what the problem was. Her chain came off the small chain ring so I got it back on and then she said she was DONE. I explained to her that out goal was within reach just around the corner but she said go ahead and go but she was DONE! Ok. Meanwhile Jay was turning his bike one direction to finish the goal then back around to not finish the goal. Needless to say "I am Done!" was the saying for the weekend. We stopped and headed back to Pierre. The wind was REALLY bad out there. I decided to fly back so I hit the pedals hard and stopped under the bridge to wait for Kris and Jay. Once all of us re-hydrated we headed up on the bridge again. This time was not as bad but there were a couple times that the gust caught us a bit. Of course we had a pretty good hill to go up even thought it was short it was hard. Kris did a good job and got 3/4 of the way up before walking up it and I was a bit nervous since the last short uphill like that I had been on was the "Mayor Slayer" and my calves cramped up. Well I was happy to make it up the hill no cramping and no walking although I did have to get out of the saddle to get up it. We only went 6 miles but better than nothing! Saturday night it was hitting the Cattleman's Club for supper...YUM..and then back to the house with one more little walking trip to Zestos for ice cream. I proceeded to drop my vanilla cone and Kris was kind enough to share her raspberry / vanilla cone with me. Lets just say the raspberry was wonderful!...thanks Skip!

Sunday we had a great lunch with roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, salad, corn and banana bars for desert...Oh ya and some wine! We loaded up and headed back to Sioux Falls and decided to take the indy home. The construction was no so bad. Lots of motor homes and motorcycles on the road. Stopped in Kimball for gas $4.09/ gallon...UGH!

It was a fun weekend with lots of great food (scale did not like me this morning), laughter and company!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time! Hey, I would have a Hamms with ya! You remember those old commercials? I used to love them...

teamwelliver said...

you need to hang out with T-Dawg's dad...I have to bring my own beer when I visit them because he drinks Milwaukee's Best, BPR, and yes, even Schlitz. I have my beer snobbery standards!

Tez said...

Sure thing Mayor....I have no fear of beer!

Hanging with T-Dawg's dad would be coolbut I would have to get a hat!

teamwelliver said...

ooh, you would need a hat...fear not though, he has extras.

Tez said...

I am sure he does have an extra 1 or 2 hats.

I can't be a beer snob until I have tried all the retro beers also! I do still have some standards-no wheat beer!..haha..