June 6, 2008

Storms last night......

Ok, so some of you, maybe the two or three, that read my blog know, how I do not like stormy weather. So, last night was a trial in staying calm for me. I do not get hysterical but I have to say the threat of tornadoes gets the old ticker pounding a bit and last night was no exception!

We, well, I, decided we needed to fix supper, leftovers, and then head to the basement early with Wrigs, the bird, and Abe the dog, and also along with our flashlights and weather radio. We watched some of the weather stuff but decided since it was a bit before things started to pop that we would watch something else. I love HBO on Demand! We watched a little snippet on David McCullough. He the writer that penned books 1776 and John Adams along with a few others. We really enjoyed the peek into his life. He seems like a fun guy and in a way, if you watched John Adams, it was a bit how John Adams and Abigail Adams acted together only McCullough is not as crotchety as Adams was it seems. That was 40 min of fun.

There really was not much on but the weather crap so we ended up watching it. Yes, we were watching KELO and I think I know more about weather than I care to at this point. Anyway, there was the funnel spotted out by Humbolt so we called Kris's mom (Joan) and asked her if she was watching the weather, as she lives north west of Crooks a few miles. She had not heard about the possible tornado by Humbolt. I just told her to make sure she watches the weather. Our call to her was followed by other calls from family members telling her to watch the weather also. The best advice Joan received came from Kris's aunt, "Well, do something!" The kicker here is that Joan lives in a house with no basement. They built the house that way so Kris's dad could get to every place in the house as he had MS. Needless to say, here were her options: hopping in the car to drive to a relatives house, walk or run up to Kris's grandmothers house, which has a basement, or hit the bathroom in the house and hunker down in the bath tub. Of course she chose the the last option, hunker down in the tub. I am guessing that was the "Well, do something!", option also. The only problem she had was keeping the dog in the bath tub with her. Well, as the story goes, everything was fine and no issues to report...thank GOD!

I guess my nervousness of storms comes from when I was 5 or 6. We lived in Storm Lake, IA, and of course a lot of storms seem to pop in that area. I HATED THEM! We would go down in the basement and my dad would go back upstairs and watch the storms. Then of course we moved to the Des Moines area then back to Yankton when I was in 6th grade so the places we lived are known a bit for nasty weather. Safe to say, I would not willingly move to Kansas or Oklahoma unless I live in an underground bunker!

Glad no one was hurt in our area from the storms and I am sure that my niece, who is working on her masters in meteorology, is so very proud of her Aunt Banana after reading this!

2 comments:

teamwelliver said...

Yea for watching weather crap!

but don't get Kristen, Mom, or Dad started on tornado coverage during the Stanley Cup game the other night. Apparently WHO had to have continuous coverage going, so they blocked the sound from the game and had the weather guy continuously giving updates on the tornados south of Des Moines - for the ENTIRE 3-hour hockey game. They were angry.

But the Wings won, so YEA!!

Tez said...

Go wings, I guess. Not much into hockey! sorry! I am sure they were angry, just like people trying to watch the NBA finals last ngiht (my boss was not happy!) around here!