June 2, 2008

Memorials and dedication




This past weekend we had the candle and hymnal dedication in memory of my mom. We thought it was a great idea to have a memorial that would be used at every service and event at church. Mom was one who had a bright personality, song in her heart and she loved to belt out an old hymn at church so our choices were easy for memorials. The candles are special candles. They look like regular candles but actually you fill them with oil and add the wick and you have a candle that last a very long time with only the need for oil every so often. The candles burn cleaner, stay straight in the heat of the summer (no a/c in church), easy to light, and no wax drippings to clean up on the alter. My sister (Roz) and I got to light the candles for the first service! The other memorial that we donated in her name were a few hymnals, to replace some that were very worn. It sure was a treat singing out of a hymnal with her name on the inside cover. The memorials are great additions to Vangen Lutheran Church in Mission Hill, SD. The flowers on the alter were from two very WONDERFUL ladies and two of my mom's closest best friends, Rose and Joan. Not sure what I would do without you two in my life. I am truly blessed!
After the dedication we headed to Minerva's for brunch with my sister Roz, niece Kristen, Rose and her granddaughter Kassy, Godparents Luther and Joan, friends Dawn and Christi and of course how could I forget Kristine. It was a good time filled with laughter and good food.
We did take some time before Roz and Kristen headed home to show them were the trees will be planted in memory of both my mom and dad. They are very fitting places. Riverside Park, by the baseball diamond, will soon be the home of a new oak tree and by the tennis courts at Memorial Park there will be a new pine tree.
It is good to have these memorials finally decided on and behind us. Now, each gift will go on and flourish in it's own way in our parents memory.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The candles are beautiful, what a fitting tribute.
I'm bettin' you're still making your mom and dad proud.

Tez said...

I can only hope they are proud! Thanks Mr Mayor! You have a great TDK!