May 22, 2008

ROS recap

The Ride of Silence was really neat. We got all ready and about 10 min before departure, Kris got paged and had to go to the big green house on the hill to help out a patient. I asked her how much she had to pay to get someone to pager her at that specific time, all in fun!

Anyway, I think they said there were 37 riders. A few of the FAB members (Cycle SD and Hooterville Mayor) were interviewed by KDLT and did a great job. We tok off and I forgot to take my cell phone off ring so the muppet show song was playing as we took off....very nice and embarrassing! The next thing is that I SUCKED WIND BAD! It is pretty much up hill out of downtown and I have not near the amount of miles / time on the bike as most of the other riders. I of course am carrying more weight then some also from the years of carbo loading, but that is getting better. Down 22 pounds (official weigh in this morning) since last summer. I could not imagine how bad it would have been riding that last night with that much more weight. Anyway made it to 21st street and the Kernel was waiting for me. He asked it I wanted to cut over to Minn Ave at that point and I said sure. The uphill was pretty much done but there was no way I would have caught the group I am guessing. THANKS KERNEL! He buzzed over and took pics of the ROS peleton cresting the hill on Minn Ave. I chugged out with the group on to Minn Ave at 21st and rode with the pack the rest of the way.

I waited for Kris to come back to Fawick park and we loaded up my bike then headed to Monk's after calling a couple friends, who had been out golfing. Had a great beer last night after asking for two other beers they were out of. Anyway it was a Rogue Shakespeare Stout. Very nice.

So all in all it was a great night even if I didn't make it the whole distance (uphills kill me!) but hey at least I was out there and supporting a good cause!

6 comments:

CDV said...

Keep those pedals spinning and the hills will get easier. Never easy but easier.

SD_pedalpower said...

The speeds were faster than I had hoped for or expected but it was a still a great turn out and a good thing for the cycling community.

thE_kErnEl said...

No problem, I figured you were just holding back for the sprint finish ;-)

Tez said...

HAHA...very nice!...that is a good story!..Thanks Kernel!

Anonymous said...

I had wanted to keep it right at 10 mph, but you know Snakebite, when he rolls, he rolls!
Thanks for being there, and whenever you want to work on your hill training, give me a call, I am getting to be an expert at rolling down those suckers! ;)

Tez said...

No problem with the group going faster at all. It was the hill that killed me. Yes I would not mind some help on hills if you are willing!