January 7, 2008

Monks

We hit Monk's Friday night after supper at Sanaa's. First off supper was good but I think I would rather eat Indian food as I like the spice blend better but I was the only one out of our group that went for round two of the Turkish coffee! It has cardamon in it and it really has a different flavor but I liked it. I think the issue with some of the friends was the sludge in the bottom of the thimble size cup. I just swirled it around and downed it!....Then it was on to Monk's which is just across the street. We found a place by the cozy fireplace and pulled up the leather chairs closer to the couch so we could talk and then took a load off. Very cool place. If you are going there to drink Miller Lite, Budlite you will have issues. I think the only generic type beer they had was Coors and PBR both in bottle form. We ventured into BEER territory trying different beers (which we love doing) in fact one I tried I had seen at Hy-Vee and almost purchased. It was ok. For the life of me I can not remember the name of if but I know it was a Brune Ale. Newcastle is still better. Then I tried the Nostradamus. It has I think port wine in it. It was good when it was a little on the cool side but then it had a different taste to it when it warmed up which was NOT long sitting by the fireplace (note to self - it gets warm over there!). I think the others tried St Bernard's, Monk's Holy Grail, Newcastle and of course my roomie had to have a glass of wine...but it was a very nice glass of Chalone Pinot Noir. All in all it was a good time and we will be back to experiment more with the beers also if the women's bathroom is not being used you have to check out the toilet and the faucet! It was a first time for me to use square toilet!..very retro!

No comments: