July 1, 2008

Road bike.....virgin ride - this year!

I rode the old Cannondale 3.0 road bike last night out an a "training" ride. Man, I can really tell that it has been a while since I have been on a road bike. I am more comfy and confident on my mountain bike but that is what I ride a LOT more. Took off from home and hopped on the trail at statue of David and rode around the south end of the trail then over to Madison St and then home. I do have to say that the BIG cracks in the road are very scary for someone on a thinner tire bike than a mountain bike. I was worried about crashing and could not avoid some of the holes because of traffic. Some holes were so bad my chain was slapping pretty good after hitting them. First night also with the mirror. It didn't go to bad but will take some getting used to and also finding out the right angle for me to see what is coming up behind. I did notice this morning the mirror was easier to use but I wasn't riding into the sun either which was an issue I had last night and I was on my mountain bike this morning so different riding angle.

Lots of people out on the trails last night. Every one was good about staying to the right and I was even thanked numerous times for saying, "on your left!" Dog walkers were good about keeping their dogs on a short leash and or even pulling off the trail until bikes went by.

Got home and took Abe out just when the mosquito patrol was out spraying! All of a sudden the fog was rolling in so we headed inside. I was on the bike trail one year when they were spraying and ended up with a respiratory infection. Now, I have no idea if I would have ended up with it without being around the fogger but I didn't want to take any chances hence the heading indoors!

Last nights factoids: 14.10 miles, 1h4m47s ride time, 13.48mph ave, 24.2 max.

Could have ridden a bit further but wanted to get home before dark since no lites for the road bike. I got a late start heading out for my ride.

Going to be HOT today so not sure what the day holds.

4 comments:

CDV said...

Way to go!! It was a really nice night for a ride.

Tez said...

THANKS..It was a nice night

Anonymous said...

Nice average speed for someone not riding monster miles!
You should come out to the WW ride in Rowena, or, just come on out and we'll just ride out to the tri state marker and back. Nice leisurely 15 mile ride.

Tez said...

Thanks. I am working on it but I am sure no MONSTER miles this year compared to some of you! I might have to do WW in a few weeks. I just need more miles in and plan on doing 30 at FABRAD Saturday!