July 6, 2008

FABRAD and receap

The 4th was a good time. We went out to Kris's aunt and uncles for a family reunion. It included family stories, good food and a tour of her cousin's dairy farm. An amazing operation! They milk 1425 cows!

Saturday was the annual FABRAD ride. I chose the 30 mile route. The wind was blowing pretty darn good from the south as we headed out of town. Got out by Spring Creek Golf Course and I hit the "Mayor Slayer" it is a nasty steep short uphill but it is a KILLER , plus I ran totally out of gears! I made maybe half way up then had to step off as my calves went into spasm. I hoped back on and just a bit further down the road I heard a noise in the ditch and a BIG buck jumped out and ran across the road about 20-30 feet in front of me. I looked back to see another buck about to do the same. All I could say was WOW! I made it to the half way point for some fig newtons, beverages, TDF update (thanks Matt) then hit the road again. I pretty much rode by myself as people are a lot faster than me but I was not the last of the group either. Made it to Harrisburg to use the facilities and chatted with a mechanic from Harlan's about my bike and I found out what year it is. 1990 Cannondale 3.0 road bike (could not remember when I purchased it). Ends up he had almost the same frame on the bike he was riding but it was a years older and of course had much better components since mine has the old Suntour Blaze. Suntour is not even made anymore. Anyway, the fun was about to begin as I headed back north to Sioux Falls with the great tailwind. I did end up dropping my new Camelbak water bottle but it did not split open which was good only a little scuff on the bottom of the bottle and dirt in the spout....no harm. I hit Sioux Falls and for some reason I had it in my head that we turn at 41st street which I thought was strange but I was looking for the signage also and missed it, anyway I ended up FLYING down Cliff Ave hill...36.3miles per hour! That is a record for me. I then decided I had missed the turn so headed back to the bike trail and around to Cherry Rock park and road the bike trail to finish with 30.04 miles for the day. The trail was BUSY! Lots of people with NO HELMETS, lots of families out biking and stopping ON THE TRAIL! I did meet a couple out walking their Newfie, Frances. He was a pretty 1.5 year old cool guy.

So, this was my longest ride of the year and the factoids were not so bad given the walking of the bike and the wind from the south. 30.04 miles, 2h34m46s ride time, 11.95 ave speed, 36.3 max speed.

Once back at the park there was food and music provided. It was a good club ride with, last I heard, 106 riders from the area.

Ok, so today, my calves are mooing pretty bad! Guessing it was from the "Mayor Slayer" I have to stretch more and the roomie is going to massage them again tonight!

All in all it was a good holiday weekend. Today was spent out at the farm and then we hit Dell Rapids for the cheap movie theater and saw Wall-e. It was cute but not the best Pixar movie.

Hope everyone had a good weekend also!

No comments: