February 27, 2009

Slides come to life..........

Back in the 50-60s my dad had fun taking a lot of pictures with his camera and develop the results in slide form. We kept all of his slides until the camera went bad and of course was very expensive to fix. During that time everyone had switched over to the instant Polaroids or film.

My niece and her husband took on the task of scanning all of our family slides and my brother-in-laws family slides. It is a lot of work! Kris and I had spent a little time doing this but it was taking so long with the equipment we had and basically we got burnt out on it. Anyway all the slides were sent to California just after Christmas and let me tell you sending boxes of slides chuck full of memories out the door onto a truck and hoping nothings happens to them is very scary! Of course they made it there just fine. The great thing now is we have all of them scanned and can go look at them on a private site so we can label them as to who is in the picture and even add other comments as we like. The slides are going to go into archival sheets to keep them from getting any worse and stored in a SAFE place. Lots of memories on the slides but I was a bit to little to remember any of them really and as is the way in most families the first child has a lot more pictures taken of them then the last child does but that is ok I knew they loved me just as much as my big sister.

My dad had quite the eye for composition in some of the pics. He really did a great job setting it up and shooting and after taking two camera classes I can really appreciate the job he did. There was no automatic setting on the camera he had. It was all manual. I like to think he was a natural talent at it as I really do not recall him sitting around reading about shooting the perfect picture but again at that time is his life I was not even thought of or was maybe a VERY little sparkle in his eye. So I leave you with a few pics he took from the past......

Yup, that is me with my grandpa's hat on.
My sister in grandparent's backyard (Obert school in the background)
My dad's parents standing outside on their sidewalk in Obert. That is Hwy 12 you see in the picture. I am pretty sure they never smilled in any picture we have of them!

Snow piled up on Hwy 12 somewhere between Hwy 81 and Obert. We never get snow like this anymore!

Waterfall somewhere in Colorado (I am guessing).

Since dad worked for Gurney's there are a lot of flower pictures. Guess that is where I got that gene!
My grandpa (my dad's dad). Even though the picture is dark it still shows a lot about him. He smoked a pipe, of course that is obvious, but he was a hard working guy that was very caring, and would do anything for his kids and grand kids. He worked for the county driving the maintainer around the Obert county roads (see the old Obert school house in the back ground?). I never saw him get upset, well except when my and my sister would fight, but still he never really raised his voice and I really do not remember him saying a bad word about anyone. He was the only grand parent I knew and he will always hold a special place in my heart!


Thank you Beth and Terry for all the work you did!

6 comments:

teamwelliver said...

that first pic of you is adorable! and i never thought i'd use the word adorbable in describing you (that's a good thing)...and i love that picture of mom in the pink dress and the one of your grandpa.

Anonymous said...

Love the one of your grandpa and his pipe! The late afternoon sun glowing on one side of his face just makes it all the more special. Either that was a very fast lens your dad had, or a short focal point, yes?

Tez said...

Mr Mayor
Not sure about the camera he had. It is long gone I think. It is a great pic though and I do have to agree on the amber glow from the setting Nebraska sun.

Anonymous said...

I also was digging thought some old pics at mom house the other day they do bring back some good times

Ham(m)er said...

Beautiful photos. I LOVE the portraits. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I like the way he used the extremely shallow depth of field, probably because he wanted to let in as much light as possible, on those portraits. The slide film helped as well. It gives them a lot of depth. That's cool and kind of hard to do because your focus has to be very precise.