February 6, 2009

Commuting this time of year?

Hope you are sitting down when you are reading this. This is day TWO of commuting to work this week. YUP, I know there are a lot of you out there that commute when there is snow, rain, ice and whatever and HATS OFF TO YOU but I am a fare weather rider so this is pretty good for me plus this is quite a few months earlier commuting for me than last year. I started keeping track in June last year. Not sure with rain and ice possible next week how long this will last but it is a start. The first day my hands got cold and of course the ride home I was overdressed. This morning was perfect clothes wise but roads were a bit more frosty. I learned right away a to be a bit more aggressive on "owning" your lane when there is ice approaching. I didn't fall but was very cautious. Looking forward to the ride home even though it is mainly uphill...UGH!


Taking supper over to our shut in friend tonight. Well she isn't really a shut in but she has been at home sick with bad sinus stuff for a week and a half. With one trip to Urgent Care , two trips to the doctor and a CAT scan in a week and a half I think she is doing better. We thought comfort food would be in order and nothing says comfort food more than a good old Lutheran hot dish! Kris has the day off so she is making Stella's hot dish...not sure what is all in it but hamburger, veggies, cream of something soups and chips on top...MMMM!


Tomorrow a few of us have our USA Cycling class to become cycling officials. The class goes from 9-3:30 and then an open book test at the end. HOPE I PASS! Kind of nervous about it as I really do not know the ins and outs of the legal stuff for racing but I guess I will have to learn. Why am I doing this? I love the dynamics of bike racing and our FAB club is trying to grow in all aspects of the cycling community and with having USAC Officials in our area we will be able to hold official time trials and crits locally. ITS ALL A GOOD THING.

We have a trip to DC coming up and decided that with the new camera we needed to learn a bit more about it so we are taking an SLR class next Thursday night. Should be fun. Lots to learn on this camera. We also have our hotel secured for our trip..WOW it is expensive out there. What is odd is that since it is a business city the hotel rooms are cheaper on Friday and Saturday nights but when it comes to Sunday-Thursday LOOK OUT! I think we are paying $169 / night for two nights...YUP THIS IS THE CHEAP NIGHTS! and then it jumps to $269 / night for our three other nights and this is a convention rate! YIKES! It is more expensive than staying at a moderate hotel at Disney and that would include our park tickets! It will be fun. Now we have to decide what we are going to take in the short few days we are there. Oh, yes and locking in our airfare. Lots to do yet I guess.

Well, I hope everyone has been out enjoying the wonderful weather the last couple days in our area. Cool down the weekend and then rain / ice /snow stuff next week so be careful out there kids!

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was sitting down, but still, good for you! I'll bet if really felt good. Spring is coming, thats' my mantra this time of year...

Anonymous said...

keep up the commuting

An have fun in DC, don't become a National fan while you are there.

SD_pedalpower said...

Way to go Tez...keep pedaling...

DIRK said...

Any time you can ride. Commuting or for fun is good. Just ride a bike.