October 26, 2008

I called the SAG wagon....

I gave up on a ride yesterday. Yup, totally gave up. I had to call the SAG wagon to come get me. We had decided that a bunch of friends would meet up for breakfast yesterday at 9:00am at Tinner's, 69th and Minn. I decided I wanted to get a bike ride in so, I told Kris I would leave early and head out on the bike with a small stop at the bank to deposit a check. Got to the bank and it was closed so, I hit the bike trail getting on the asphalt path at 12th street to head south, into the wind, to Western then Western to 69th and 69th to Minnesota Ave. Ok, so that was the route. Anyway, I make it to Westward Ho Country Club area and start to get pretty cold. I was layered up ok but I still have not found my neck gaiter so I used a bandanna and the face and neck are was getting cold. I stopped to adjust clothing and had a GU since I had not had breakfast yet. The destination of the ride would refuel the body, so I thought. I also had cold water which some of you might know that I am not a big fan of drinking COLD water when I ride or just in general. Your body does not absorb it as fast as with a little warmer water. So I filled my bottle with cold water before I left the house and as I road it got colder so drinking it made me feel colder when I did have a swig. I had some issues also with my hands tingling since I only had winter gloves on with no padding in the right areas. With all this going on and running really late, I decided to call Kris and have her meet me at Western Ave or Yankton Trail Park area for you soccer players reading this blog. Yup, SAG wagon. DANG IT.

We had a great breakfast and good conversation with the group before heading to a winter clothing outlet sale. I figured I would get smarter about some of the things I needed for my cold weather cycling. Ends up I found a windstopper jacket and a base layer undershirt for a good price so they were purchased. I then went to Scheel's and picked up an under armour face mask. I am hoping it will work ok. It covers your nose and down your neck. I have the Pearl Izumi scull cap already and didn't feel I needed the all in one mask by UA. So it is all a trial by error for me yet with the cold weather riding.

Temp was 36 when I headed out. I only made it 5.28 before I gave in.........UGH, still learning and not giving up.

4 comments:

SD_pedalpower said...

Don't get discouraged, this time of the year is almost harder finding the perfect clothing combo than riding in sub zero temps because too much you start sweating and too little you get cold. Yesterday I had 4 layers on top and Pearl am-fib tights and it was a perfect combo. Two layers of wool socks and my feet still got cold. It's time for me to switch to my winter cycling boots.

Unknown said...

You're a brave woman to head out in 36 degree weather! Sounds like you got some good additions to your winter riding wardrobe - I bet you'll have a warmer ride next time!

Tez said...

Cylce SD I am not discouraged at all but it seems to be a lot more work biking also with the added clothes. I have my sites set on a few more items to make it better.

Cathy Jo what about you out riding in temps lower than 50! YOU GO GIRL!

Anonymous said...

DW is right, I believe it is harder to dress in this kind of weather as opposed to a steady colder temp. I am still experimenting with cold weather clothing. As long as I can keep my knees warm, I am good to go!