June 22, 2009

Great weekend!

I had a great weekend!

Friday I hit the clubhouse in Bridgetown. Saturday I headed off to the Ponca Revenge mountain bike race part of the Psycowpath Series for some officiating! These guys put on a great event! There were 85 riders taking on the five mile loop course. Numerous categories with numerous laps and numerous pages of writing for the officials but that was just fine with us! It was really fun. I had never been to a mountain bike race before and let me say, these riders are pretty tough. One class in particular, the Marathoners, rode the course for THREE HOURS straight! It was pretty cool to watch them have their own routine at the feed station. The winners (man and woman) of the marathon class did seven laps in those three hours. Kudos! You can read about the results here.
Let me also say that this is a great State Park that offers camping, hiking and biking!

Saturday I buzzed to the local G-Store to get a steak and some sides to grill at the clubhouse! YUMMY! One of my mom's friends, Rose, came over and we sat and visited also. Great way to end the day!

Sunday was a lazy day and then headed home to get caught up with Kris who was at a Garden Party Tour in Pierre at her sister and brother-in-laws house. They had a good time.

Today is the first day since May 11 that I have been on my bike! I had bronchitis and and upper respiratory infection all at once so have not been 100 percent in a while. I am not so sure I am yet, but I am in the 90s at least! Anyway, I commuted to work today! I am SO HAPPY! This has made my week and it is only Monday!

Rest of the week....
FAB newsletter stuff, Thursday FAB Time Trial and Saturday Bike-a-palooza!

5 comments:

MG said...

Hey, thanks for volunteering out at the race this weekend, Tez. I was one of the Marathon racers -- the fourth place male finisher. I completed seven laps, and it was pretty hot towards the end. Believe it or not, the top two riders actually rode eight laps -- incredible! We had a lot of fun out there, despite the fact that we were working pretty darn hard... and to think we actually paid to do that. That's probably the most amazing part of it all.

Thanks again for making it a safe, fun event for us to participate in. I really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Matt Gersib
Lincoln, NE

Anonymous said...

Now THAT makes officiating worthwhile!!!

Tez said...

Hey Matt, first off thank you! There are a lot of people out there that make this a great event and keep everyone safe!

Looked like you guys had a great time out there since there was joking and smiling every time the riders made the feed zone! Even one of the marathon riders that flatted from rolling his tire off the rim right after the feed zone. He was still yelling encouragement at the other riders while doing a VERY fast tire change!

I really enjoyed myself even though it did get really hot and humid toward the end of the race!
What a great place to have a mtn bike race! The venue is perfect! One guy from NC said it was his new favorite course and he wished he lived closer!

Mr Mayor, you would be surprised how many of the riders, after a race come up and thank the officials! It sure does make it worth while!

I think it is just amazing the riders did all those laps! Not sure I could do one! I am the one that should thank the riders for allowing us to be part of their fun! Well done fellas and Roxy (the only female racer!)!

MG said...

That's so true, Tez... There are a ton of volunteers who made that event a good one. Thanks for sharing the spotlight!

And Roxy's performance Saturday was nothing short of amazing too. She's super fit and fast this season, which is something she's been building on for close to a decade now at least.

Thanks again,
MG

Tez said...

MG, she is super fit! Bummer she was the only female out there hammering it!

Looks like all her hard work is paying off!