August 15, 2008

Wings, belly flops and Riverboat Days

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!

Wow, I thought it would not get here but then all of a sudden it was Friday! Had a great time last night. We took Kris's niece and a couple other friends to BW3 for some wings and laughter. We sure did get some good laughing in. Nothing like wings, beer and laughter. We even saw a little kid do a face plant out of one of the booths. The kid was fine. I was expecting the big screams to pierce the ear drums at any second but alas the little dude cried very little and then the mom decided to move to a table or was it from me laughing at the kid? I could not help myself it was so funny looking. It looked like some one tossed him right out of the booth and he splatted / belly flopped on the floor. I would have not laughed if he had been hurt but since he was fine it was very funny.

Tonight we are heading to Riverboat Days in Yankton. I can't wait! There will be fireworks tonight and it is being billed as the best and biggest they have had at Riverboat Days. Ok, now let me just toot Yankton's horn a bit on this one. The July 4th fireworks and the fireworks during Riverboat Days are the best I have seen around here, yes, better than Sioux Falls. Maybe it is sitting on the banks of the big Mo and watching them shoot the big bombs into the air and then waiting for the sky to light up and see the reflection in the river that give a person the, OOOOO, AAAWWWW, factor but they are awesome. Second only to the fireworks I have seen at Disney. So, they are also saying this will be the second biggest firework display in the state of South Dakota with the fireworks at Mount Rushmore over the 4th of July being the biggest. I will have to report on this Monday but they really do an awesome job with the fireworks.

Not sure what all the weekend will hold so it will be a kind of play it by ear and go with the flow weekend. I know we will hit the road for a ride, do some shopping and eating food and I guess some time will be spent at the beer tent.


Oh, ya, one more thing. They are going to have tours of the first floor of the Gurney building complete with popcorn. If you had ever been to the Gurney retail store they always had popcorn made for you to snack on while you shopped. I do have to say I made my fair share of popcorn for people to eat while shopping. Yes, I worked at Gurney's during the summers in high school out in the fields but I also helped out at the store. I spent a lot of time there working and also my dad was the shipping manager there for a lot of years so I know my way around the place pretty well. I am very excited to get back in there to see the place again! Does anyone remember the Myna (sp?) bird they used to have in the store? It was in the back part of the store and was kind of a naughty bird if I remember right.


Everyone stay safe out there this weekend and to those doing the Gut Check good luck and slay the beast! To those having issues because they decided to spend time with their family this year instead of train a bunch look around and see who is the winner this summer. The road will always be there to conquer and it just was not meant to be this year.

1 comment:

CDV said...

Sounds like a fun weekend, enjoy! Thanks for reminding me about what important with that last paragraph.