September 18, 2009

Ankle and aperture

Well, what is new in my world?

Some frustrations and some up coming fun stuff.

First the frustration. As many of you know I have a bum wheel, ankle that is. I think it all started when I was in 6 or 7th grade when I sprained my ankle one of the first of eight times over my life, so far. Then a few years ago, I broke it. I guess, yes, you can call me a klutz, but at least the time I did brake it, I was walking down the stairs at home in December and my shoes were wet. So I slipped and fell. The good thing is that I had just opened my first bottle of beer, yup, Newcastle, and had taken two sips out of it when I did this. I never spilled a drop. Klutz or not, you decide! Anyway, the old wheel has been bothering of late and so I decided to seek out professional help. After a few trips to the Dr, loads of x-rays and an MRI, it was determined that my ankle is bad but not bad enough to do anything to it yet. WHAT? Yup, that is what I said. The last trip to the dr I was to have a cortisone injection but since my ankle was not as tight as it was, he decided against it but they did do more x-rays called stress x-ray where they literally twist your ankle to see how many degrees they can twist it. YUP, LOTS of fun! Anyway the news is that I have no anterior talofiular ligament anymore, the posterior calcaneofibular ligament had some superficial fiber damage, basically a bone spur off the inside of the ankle bone and a possible fusion of some bones. YIPPEE! So after all that, we wait until it gets worse. Then the plan will be surgery and it will be a non-weight bearing (no weight on the surgerized ankle)for 6 weeks! So nothing else, no restrictions only that if it is sore take anti-inflams and wear a brace especially when on uneven ground. So, living with a physical therapist, she has some different ideas. There will be more strengthening of the ankle with exercises! OH YEAH, UGH....life goes on!

(One of the stress x-rays, ignore the neon lines on the x-ray as they were moved out of place so he could show me the bone spur, not suppose to be there, by the cursor arrow)

THE GOOD NEWS! I am excited for another photography class that starts tonight and goes through tomorrow! Cycling Cathy is even coming up to take this class also! Harold's is the host of the event but Tamron is the main sponsor and they call it their Road Series Event. They are bringing in a nature photographer from Florida that will teach a class tonight for three hours and then tomorrow we hit the local zoo for hands on learning! With Tamron being a sponsor, they are going to let us try out their different lenses! I am jazzed about this! There will be a little class work tomorrow plus at the end a photo contest for the "students". Lots to learn!

And, yes, I will be wearing my ankle brace!

2 comments:

Kathy M. said...

KLUTZ !!!!!!!!
I'm a certified one also.
Kris and Abe will take good care of you if/when you have surgery.

Unknown said...

I had so much fun at the photography workshop! I thought my head was going to explode at times with new knowledge. Now you'll remind me if I forget somethings right? You're the pro - congrats on your 3rd place finish with your photo!